Saturday, November 25, 2017

Jackie Shane and the Soul Clap & Dance-Off


Jonathan Toubin's Soul Clap & Dance-Off is going to be throwing a special holiday extravaganza at Brooklyn Night Bazaar this December and it looks like it's gonna be a doozy of a show. We immediately decided on using 1960's transgender soul singer, Jackie Shane, for this events poster. I recommend reading up on Jackie Shane's life after this and checking out her albums. There's also a great new box set out of her work,  put out by The Numero Group, which you can check out on Spotify, or go out and buy, your choice. 

There's gonna be some guest DJing by Don Bolles and Alix Brown, performances by Breanna Barbara, Surfbort and Animal Show, in addition to your chance to shake it on the dance floor for some cash money. Be sure to scoop up some TICKETS for this show.




Originally thought these stripes would be this kind of cool,  shimmery, curtain-esque thing behind Jackie but, this was a tight deadline and we try to keep the color palette very minimal for these posters so gotta save that for something else.



As you can see from these two images there's a definite change in the look of the poster. As fun as it was to do and definitely an homage to old soul revue posters, we felt there couldn't be a bunch of dudes dominating the poster and I knew I couldn't fit a portrait of every performer on there. This was a moment for me where I was reminded that even when I'm making an illustration, I need to be very aware of who I'm placing in there and who I'm unconsciously ignoring, especially when there are 3 bands performing, all led by women and a female DJ performing.




No comments: